Monday, March 17, 2014

Coconut milk tapioca cream: A fresh and a cloudy dessert


So light, so soft like a cloud...






I love the desserts. I can not imagine a meal without them . And I confess that sometimes I don't want to take a second helping of a dish I love because I want to enjoy the irreplaceable sweet touch at the end 
Yes like many people I am a " sweet tooth " and it comes from my mother.

My mother sprinkled my childhood with homemade goodies.
I remember " coconut Doucettes" which are some grated coconut cookies from French Antilles , peanuts pralines, the smell of their caramelized cane sugar scented the home, mousses with passion fruit or guavas , ice cream and homemade yoghurt , soft cakes and others Carribean treats  .
 It was the promise of  delightful moments.

Waiting to taste these good things, my brothers and I assited mommy and  each of us had a well-defined task . Cookbooks that still survive from that time can testify ! When I flip through their pages soiled by the projections of pancake batter or dough cakes, I can imagine us again.

My childhood has the taste of my mother's fragrant desserts and although my tastes have changed a bit ( I find Coconut Doucettes too sweet ), the idea of homemade dessert remains.

I had the idea of coconut milk tapioca cream while I was cooking tapioca pearls and coconut milk, a dessert that I love and which I will talk to you about soon. I added too much liquid in my recipe so I removed the surplus. I kept it in the fridge thinking that it could be used for another preparation. The next day I found a smooth and soft coconut dessert. 

Here's what you 'll need to make this cream :

Note:
You can replace the tapioca flour with cornstarch or rice flour.


Ingredients: (for about 6/7 ramekins 6 cm in diameter)

  • 1/2 liter of semi skimmed milk
  • 240 ml/1 cup of milk to dissolve the tapioca
  • 4  full tablespoons of tapioca powder
  • 125 ml coconut milk ( 38% fat if you can )
  • 80g caster sugar
  • 7 g/1 tsp agar agar ( vegetable gelatin powder)
  • 3 tablespoons dried or fresh grated coconut (optional)


Method:

In a bowl, dissolve the agar agar and tapioca flour with 1 cup of milk.

Turn to medium heat 1 /2 liter of milk but do not boil it.

Immediately add the tapioca and gelatin mixture. Stir constantly .

As soon as the mixture thickens remove from heat (mixture thickens quickly) .

Turn the heat off and continue to stir the cream.

Put your pan on the heat off, add the sugar and stir 2 minutes to dissolve it.

Remove from heat and add the coconut milk gradually and mix well to get a smooth mixture.

Add the grated coconut if you want.Mix well.

Pour the cream in small ramekins and let cool 10 minutes.

Cover the jars and refrigerate for one night.

These creams are good after a copious meal.

tips:

You can crumble speculoos or cookies on the top of the cream just before serving .


Thank you for stopping by here and for your comments.

Chantal
























No comments:

Post a Comment